Wednesday, May 4, 2011

A blessing or a curse.

"I am having an out of money experience." ~Author Unknown

I have to admit that I have not always been a THRIFTY girl.  I've always liked getting a good deal , but I wouldn't say I was exactly "THRIFTY". GASP...I know right!  But like many of you out there, this recession has forced me to face reality.   Before, I would buy all my kids clothes at  Name Brand stores, and wouldn't necessarily wait for them to go on sale first.  I'd buy what I wanted, when I wanted it.  Why wait? We would eat out more often then not, or, we would eat out of a box.  I'm embarrassed to say that in the first 5 years of marriage we didn't even go through a 5lb bag of flour.  I can't believe I just admitted that.  But it's true.  Thankfully I've come a LOOOOONG way in the last 4 years.  Because of the recession I have been, not so gently, pushed in the right direction as far as finances go.  I use to think: "Why me?  Why do I have to go through this?  Why? Why? Why?"  Then one day (or maybe more gradually then I thought) I woke up.  I had my light bulb moment!  Why NOT me?  Instead I started thinking "What should I be getting out of all this and what was I suppose to be learning?"  I learned to tell the difference between a "want" and a "need".  I learned how to cook.  I mean really cook!  From scratch!  I'm talking, home made bread and rolls, noodles, and soups (not from the can!).  I learned what is truly important in life.  I learned that it actually was, and is, possible to be poor and happy.  I learned that there is so much more out there that is more important then money.  I learned the JOY of being truly "THRIFTY".   Life is good people!  Life is good!  I am SO HAPPY to have gone through the struggles that I have gone through.  Otherwise we would still be eating from a box; we would be living off our credit cards and wonder why we still weren't as happy as we could be.   I'm not saying that everyone needs to be like me or go through what I went through to learn these lessons.  You are all probably much smarter than I am in the first place.  I'm just saying that I have an AMAZING Heavenly Father who knows what I need, and knows what lessons I need to learn, so that I can become the best version of myself.  So not having money has become a blessing to me, not a curse.   It is funny (and slightly sad) that it took me a good two years to figure it out.  But I can honestly say that I know Someone is watching over me and even though I can't see the "BIG PICTURE" of my life, I know that they can, and I need to trust in that. So this "curse" became exactly what I needed to bless me for the rest of my life.

5 comments:

  1. Words of wisdom, my dear. I heart you. You are so awesome. I want to be like you when I grow up! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I haven't talked to you in MANY years, but you are such a different person than I remember you being and in the best way possible. Not that you were bratty before, I mean, we were acquaintenaces not BFFs ;) but I can see you really are what you are talking about above and evolving is such a great way into a great woman. I'm proud of you making the most of what you have been given and I really love following your blog and seeing your fun finds and projects. We talked about this in church on Sunday that it is character and attitude that make happiness, not circumstances or money. Good job. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can I get a BOO- Yeah! for this post?? Heather you are one of the coolest people I know!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks fellow peeps! I love it when you leave me comments. It's so fun to see who reads my blog and I just hope that I can inspire people if only in the smallest way. YOU ALL ARE AWESOME! Loves!

    ReplyDelete