Friday, May 20, 2011

Love, Hate Relationship

Coupons... ... sometimes I LOVE them other days I HATE them.  As you all know I love saving money...LOOOOOVE IT.  That is were the love part comes in.  On the other hand I HATE being stressed out and that is what coupons seem to do to me.  I feel like they take up too much of my time. I feel pressured to use them because I'm paying $20 a month for them. I won't go to the store without them , but I don't have time to go through them, so I never go to the store and then we have nothing to eat in the house. That makes me very ornery/stressed come meal time!  It's a vicious cycle!  I know I'm probably not doing it right and I need to find my own niche and what works for me but as for now I've canceled my newspaper, and I feel A LOT less stress in my life.  But I have to admit as I shop I often think, "I bet there's a coupon for that."  and I feel a little sad that I don't have them. :(  True fully though I did save a lot of money especially when it came to non-food items.  Such as, razors, ziploc bags, face wash, shampoo, laundry soap, etc..    I found myself not using a lot of the food coupons though.  I don't know...see my inner struggle!

On Wednesday I went out shopping by only doing price matches. (I did use 4 coupons that came on the package of the lunch meat I bought) I spent 1 hour the night before making my list and doing my meal plan for the next week.  I then spent 1 hour at the store, that's with two kids.  I spent a total of $104.53 and got...

...all this..
...and this...
...oh and this...
That is A LOT of food people.  It is over 2 weeks worth for us on most items.  I even had to have a CM come over and okay my total because I saved so much money. :) I LOVE IT when that happens!  I know you couponers out there are thinking, "I could have gotten it down to $20."  Still I did pretty good with only two hours spent and NO STRESS. :)



Oh, and did you notice my stack of Ramen Noodles?  I can't wait to try out my new Cookbook.  Cost me .25 at last weeks yard sales.  Whoot, whoot!


Here is a video that KSL ran on Couponing vs Deal Shopping.  What are you're thoughts?  I really can't make up my mind.  Should I give couponing another shot?  What to do, what to do...

5 comments:

  1. If couponing is giving you that much stress, than bag it! It's sooo not worth it. Plus, when I couponed, I noticed that I was mostly getting boxed/processed foods. AND I wasn't really spending less, I was just buying more. It did save $, and it can go really well with the "deal" buying, but it's just not worth it for everyone--me (and you) included.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, have you tried some of the sites out there that you can go to and print out just the coupons you want? I think Pinchingyourpennies.com has a few and there's one that I can't remember right now that allows you to add coupons directly to your 'value' card (like your smith's card) - that was aWESOME! Unfortunately, I've moved so I'm no longer near a store that uses a value card, but if you are, I'd recommend finding a site like that! It was a whole lot quicker and more efficient - all of the coupons were in one place and while it only offered a few, the variety was growing all of the time. If I find it again, I'll let you know exactly what the site was - hope this helps! That's exactly why I don't coupon - too much stress and time! (though heaven knows I could use a few extra dollars!) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am SO with you about the stress! With 4 kids and hardly time to take a shower, I cannot find time to clip/organize coupons. I say forget the coupons unless it's convenient...but I may just being saying that so I can know there is at least one other person on this planet who can't seem to do the "crazy couponing"!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am all about no stress! If couponing is stressing you out that I am all for "Cutting it out." Ha Ha If I didn't love couponing so much I would go with the ksl non coupon shopper because she is also planing your meals and your shopping list, how great is that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also cancelled my subscription after 5 months of love/hate. I feel so liberated. I probably spend more money on food, but that's a combination of lots of things I started all at once. Lately we've been trying to eat MOSTLY whole foods. It's definitely a learning curve, but I'm learning lots. Maybe I'll even start a blog. You've inspired me. One really great money-saving thing I've learned to do lately is make yogurt. It's easy and yummy. Here's a link: http://www.kitchenstewardship.com/2009/04/13/monday-mission-homemade-yogurt-the-easy-way/ You inspire me!

    ReplyDelete