Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Thoughts in my Head


"Being frugal does not mean being cheap! It means being economical and avoiding waste." --Catherine Pulsifer


I do not consider myself a cheap person.  In fact I really do have expensive taste.  Often I find myself flipping through the Pottery Barn catalog dreaming of what I could do with all that amazing stuff.  But then my daydreams are ripped back into reality with a glimpse of the PRICE.  Ouch! Or walking through Nordstrom's and The Gap only to find myself once again shocked at the prices but longing for something amazing to wear.  I LOVE TO SHOP!  But with a dwindling paycheck, a goal to get out of debt, and a ever growing pull to stop being so wasteful, I had to change my mindset.  So I started shopping "Thrift".  I started digging through junk to find that one spectacular find; the one where I can't wait another second to call my sister for her pant size, because I just found a pair of "Big Star" jeans for $7, and they look brand new.  Or, to drive over to a friends to show them my very "loved", $3 chair that I can't wait to get a coat of paint on.  Or, the joy on my kids face when I find them a bike, or dollhouse that cost less then buying a 'Happy Meal'.  I just get excited people.  I get excited about THRIFT, about being FRUGAL, about saving that dime so I can put it towards helping others, or making memories with my family.  That is what life is all about, not who has the newest, nicest stuff; not about who spent more on their shoes or their handbag; it's about family, friends, and for me, my Savior Jesus Christ.  So that is why I LOVE THRIFTING.  It lets me spend my money on what really matters while helping keep things out of the landfills and while providing me and my home a one of a kind look.


Before and After:
My $3 chair from a thrift shop. Worth every penny don't you think?




I think this little girl has some of her Momma in her. She spotted this little goodie from a mile away. It was all folded up in it's cute little carrying case, and she still saw its potential. Or maybe she was just sucked in by all that PINK.  She's truly a girlie girl.  We paid a whopping $3 for it.  JACK POT!

6 comments:

  1. I love turning to trash to treasure myself, but here is my dilemma...I just don't think we have very good thrift stores around these here parts, so where are you shopping??

    ReplyDelete
  2. This blog is so great! What a creative idea!

    Where do you live? In Utah? I know some really great thrifting spots in SLC.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so excited for this!!! You always find and makeover the best stuff. Love, love your taste girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this post!! And I'm going to steal that chair. Just so ya know. Oh wait I probably shouldn't tell you huh? oh and BTW, I love your ideas, I love your creativity and I love... well... YOU!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a great idea!! I am so like you! I love the thrill of the deal and knowing that I spent way less is so fulfilling. I feel motivated to try this with you :) So excited to see what you do!! Love the makeovers you've already posted!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow love the chair! How did you re-finish it?

    ReplyDelete