Tuesday, April 5, 2011

To Follow a Dream...

Hello my friends in Blog land.  How nice of you to stop by.  Hang up your coat, pull up a chair, and stay awhile...at least until the kids start screaming, and you can no longer tune them out. ;)


The start of something...AWE-SOME!

Project: Starting May 1st 2011 for one year, I will only be buying second-hand items, with a few exceptions, like: food, underclothing (because that's just nasty people), personal care items, and cleaning items. But, I want to buy those items as local and thrifty as I can.  You get the idea, all house ware items, clothing, toys, books, movies, etc. will all be second-hand.

Why:  For so many reasons, including (but not limited too):

I love a good challenge.
I love re-purposing things.
I love saving the world (modern day superhero).
I love saving moo-la.
I love finding something spectacular in unusual places.

I am pretty pumped about starting and although I know I might regret it at times, I know I can do it.  For one, I probably buy at least 60% of my stuff second-hand already.  Two, it's a good accuse to live at yard sales ALL summer and there are few things I love to do more...is that weird?  Maybe I shouldn't have admitted that.  But it's true.  You should have seen the treasures I picked up this weekend.  Wait for it and you will.  I'll be posting all the fun little finds I get and tips on how to thrift and what to look for.  I am a Thrifter at heart, and it may sounds crazy, but this has kind of been a little dream of mine.  No, not to deprive myself of "new" things, but to go out and find "trash" (if you will) and turn them into something beautiful, usable, and unique.  My husband tells me that he was my first "project".  He thinks he is SO funny.  Actually he is pretty funny, that is one of the many reasons I love him...he makes me laugh.     

So that's it folks, that's what my little project will be for the next 365 days.  I hope you'll stop by and see how I'm doing, check out my sweet finds, and DIY projects, including lots of re-purposing.  And perhaps you'll find yourself  motivated to be a little more THRIFTY yourself.   "Waste not, Want not." :)
   

3 comments:

  1. Loven it so far...I want MORE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so inspired by you!!! I want to be a Heather when I grow up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! So happy you decided to do this! So fun and very inspiring! It makes me want to get down in my work room and get started on my pile of "to do's". Can't wait for the next post! Love Ya

    ReplyDelete